Monday, June 8, 2009

The Mission

For 30 days and 30 nights, I'm committing to celibacy.



At 22 years old, I can hardly say that I'm jaded by the thought of love. But here I am, embarking on this celibacy journey because I'm just burnt out on the whole charade. The dating, the anticipation, the worry- what's supposed to be FUN in the beginning stages of a relationship turned into a horrible waiting for rejection game. It's exhausting.

During this month, there will be no sex. No kissing. No dating of any kind. Nothing past mere friendship with the opposite sex. No actively looking for people to date. If I happen to meet someone, I will get to know them- as friends first.

To some, this may seem old fashioned or silly. But when you really think about it, how many times a day do you think about your boyfriend/love interest, check your phone, spend time texting or calling, browse Craigslist's Missed Connections for a possible post? Come on! It's incredibly distracting.

So what am I gonna do with all my free time, you ask? I'm going to spend that time- wasted time, if you ask me, working on myself. I'm throwing myself into work, my internship with Big Brothers/Big Sisters, working out, generally taking care of ME.

Sure. There's going to be times where I'm lost, tired, lonely, confused, and sick of all of this. But I'm making this commitment for 30 days- a simple month of time, to concentrate, and not be distracted by anything.

And at the end... we'll see where I am. Maybe I will meet someone who's worth waiting for. Or even better, maybe this month will prepare me and polish me up- to meet "the one".

I guess we'll see....

Day One starts in 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment